Skip to main content

Streator Township

High School

COVID-19 Updates

Board of Education COVID-19 Updates - Feb 7, 2022

February 7, 2022

Dear Streator Township High School Students, Parents/Guardians, and Staff:

At tonight’s Board of Education meeting, it was determined that Streator Township High School will be “mask optional”.  Masks will now be optional for all students and staff beginning Tuesday, February 8th.

As many of you are aware, the past few days have presented many challenges, discussions, and decisions to be made regarding various protocols and procedures related to COVID-19.  It was decided to have an E-learning day today in anticipation of a Board of Education meeting taking place this evening which allowed the participants to discuss the options, and offered the opportunity for public comment.  

The backstory is that a Sangamon County judge ordered a temporary restraining order (TRO) against Governor Pritzker, the Illinois Department of Public Health, the Illinois State Board of Education, and more than 140 school districts that were named in a lawsuit.  We do know that as of today, the Governor has appealed this court case and we all await results from this appeal process.  

So, what changes at Streator High School beginning Tuesday, February 8th?

  • Masks will be optional for all students and staff.

  • Masks will still be required to be worn on any school bus or other school transportation due to the federal CDC order. 

  • Streator Township High School will not be contact tracing nor excluding close contacts.

  • Students and staff who test positive will continue to be excluded from school. 

  • Staff members and students who are unvaccinated will not be required to test weekly.

  • SHIELD testing will no longer take place.

  • If your student is currently quarantined due to being deemed a close contact to somebody at SHS, he/she may return to school beginning tomorrow.

  • Rapid testing for symptomatic students and staff will still be available in our nurse’s office.

  • The IHSA has communicated that masking regulations are to be determined by the host school for current contests.

  • Our desire at SHS is to keep our students and staff safe, so please continue to report positive COVID-19 test results to the attendance office or school nurse.

We will continue to work with legal counsel to review any further judge’s decisions, as well as appeals, stays, etc, and will continue to communicate with all of you.


Dr. Henry Boer